If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (860) 649-0836

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Don't Kill Mold With Bleach

6/7/2018 (Permalink)

Bleach isn't the best long-term solution for fighting mold.

When most people see mold they think of treating it with bleach. To an untrained professional, cleaning mold with bleach can seem right. But here are three reasons why bleach is not the most effective choice to rid your home or business of mold.


1.    Bleach loses effectiveness over time.

Chlorine bleach rapidly loses its effectiveness. Try leaving a glass of chlorinated water out on the counter for a few days. You’ll find the chlorine will evaporate. This happens within bleach  containers as well. Evaporation means that it will be hard to determine the true potency of your chlorine bleach solution because the chlorine can escape through plastic. Perhaps the chlorine bleach you’re using has been sitting at the store, or in your home for months or longer. That will lessen its power to kill mold.

For Mold, Fire & Water Cleanup & Restoration Call SERVPRO of Manchester/Mansfield At (860) 649-0836

2.    Bleach does not kill mold on porous surfaces. In fact, bleach can contribute to mold growth.

Yes, chlorine bleach can kill surface mold. But mold can grow deep roots within porous surfaces like wood and drywall. Those roots will not be affected by bleach. The bleach you apply remains on the surface while the water in the bleach goes deeper and can feed the mold growth.

And not only does mold have roots, mold also releases spores. These mold spores can get into the air and land anywhere. Once spores travel and land elsewhere, if the environment is right, more mold will grow. Chlorine bleach cannot stop mold from spreading in this way.

For Mold, Fire & Water Cleanup & Restoration Call SERVPRO of Manchester/Mansfield At (860) 649-0836

3.    Bleach is toxic.

Chlorine bleach produces fumes that pollute the air and can become harmful to humans and pets. Chlorine bleach also generates a by-product called dioxin, which is linked to cancer. If you use bleach over time you can build up these pollutants in your home, business, or any environment.

So, you can use bleach to temporarily kill what’s on the surface but treating mold with bleach alone is not effective in the long run. You won’t know how potent the bleach you use is and using bleach means exposing yourself to harmful fumes.


Get Rid of Mold Issues for Good

Specialists in professional remediation can be your best bet when it comes to getting rid of mold effectively. Our crews at SERVPRO of Manchester/Mansfield use special cleaners and equipment to get rid of mold, including spores. We can identify the full extend of your mold infestation and treat mold-infested areas safely and effectively.

 
More Information   

SERVPRO of Manchester/Mansfield publishes educational articles on how Manchester area residents and businesses can protect themselves from mold and natural disasters and restore their property after a flood, sewage spill or other harmful event. We also try to give you ideas about resources in the greater Manchester and Mansfield community. Here are a few blog posts you might find helpful:  

7 Essentials After Water Damage

Businesses: Prevent Water Damage

Your Natural Disaster Questions Answered

Contact Us Anytime
In Manchester, the team at SERVPRO has specialized training and experience in water damage restoration services, fire damage restoration services, mold remediation, commercial services, and natural disaster cleanup. Call SERVPRO of Manchester/Mansfield anytime at 860.649.0836.

SERVPRO of Manchester/Mansfield
IICRC Certified
Ralph DiCristofaro
540 N. Main Street
Manchester, CT 06042
Call 860.649.0836
24-hour emergency service

Other News

View Recent Posts