If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (860) 649-0836

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Fire Safety, Room by Room

12/17/2019 (Permalink)

A burned-out microwave in a kitchen. Be safe throughout your home and prevent a disastrous fire before it starts.

Americans are hit with 350,000 house fires each year, which can uproot your family, destroy your home and personal items—and even be fatal!

Let’s look at the hazards, room by room, so you can reduce your own risk of suffering a fire disaster in your home. Since half of all home fires start in the kitchen, we’ll start there.

The Kitchen

Kitchens are filled with appliances that generate heat to cook food, so take basic precautions when using them—and keep a charged fire extinguisher nearby.

Oven and Stovetop

  • Clean your oven and cooktop regularly, because baked-on grease and food residue easily become fuel for a fire.
  • Never leave food cooking on a stovetop unattended.
  • Keep fabric such as towels, dishcloths and clothing away from heat and open flames.

Dishwasher

  • If you have an older dishwasher, have it inspected because older heating elements can overheat and cause a fire.

Microwave

  • Don’t microwave flammable materials, such as aluminum foil, Styrofoam or some plastic containers (check the markings on the bottom of the container).

Toaster or Toaster Oven

  • Consider replacing your older toaster, which can have faulty heating elements that may not turn off.
  • Don’t leave your toaster running unattended.
  • Clean the accumulated crumbs out of your toaster regularly.

The Bedroom

Filled with cozy bedding, mattresses, curtains and many other items, the bedroom is stocked with flammable objects. Here are a few ways to reduce your risk of a fire starting here—and increase your chances of escaping quickly if one does start.

Mattress

  • If your mattress was manufactured before 2007, it may not be flame retardant. Consider purchasing a new one.

Smoke Alarm

  • Every bedroom should have a smoke alarm installed and regularly tested.

Escape Plan

  • Create and practice a fire escape plan. Include two ways to leave each room (typically a door and a window).

The Living/Family Room

Like bedrooms, living or family rooms typically house lots of flammable items, such as upholstered furniture, drapes and curtains, and electronics.

Fireplace

  • Have your fireplace and chimney cleaned, inspected and maintained at least once a year. If you detect a quarter-inch buildup of creosote or soot, schedule a cleaning now.
  • Clean the fireplace yourself regularly throughout the year, based on how often you use it.
  • Always place a metal or glass screen in front of a burning fire to prevent sparks from flying out.
  • Keep rugs and other fabrics away from the fireplace.
  • After the fire is extinguished, store the ashes in a metal container with a lid, bring the container outside and place it at least three feet away from your home or garage.

Candles

  • Keep candles away from flammable objects.
  • Never leave a burning candle unattended, and always put the candle out completely when you are done burning it.

If you’ve suffered fire damage to your home or business, call SERVPRO of Manchester/Mansfield today at 860.649.0836

We’re Here for You

The team at SERVPRO of Manchester/Mansfield has specialized training and experience in fire restoration services, natural disaster and storm damage cleanup, water damage remediation and chemical cleanup. Call SERVPRO of Manchester/Mansfield (860.649.0836) any time.

Other Helpful Blog Posts

SERVPRO publishes educational articles on how you can protect your home and business from disasters and how to deal with mold, fire, water, sewage, storm and other damage.

Avoid Home Heating Fires This Winter

Escape a House Fire (Part 1): Have a Plan

Escape a House Fire (Part 2): Practice Your Plan

Fire Restoration Fundamentals

SERVPRO of Manchester/Mansfield
53 Slater Street, Unit 2, Manchester, CT 06042
IICRC Certified
Ralph DiCristofaro 
Certified SERVPRO technicians
Call 860.649.0836
24-hour emergency service

If you’ve suffered fire damage to your home or business, call SERVPRO of Manchester/Mansfield today at 860.649.0836

Other News

View Recent Posts