Reduce Fire Risk In Your Garage
Where do you think most house fires start? You’re right if you think most fires start in the kitchen. But the garage runs a close second. Most garages have cars, trucks, mowers, and other gas and oil powered vehicles in them. You may be like the many people who work on their vehicles inside the garage. All this means your garage often has abundant amounts of gas, oil, oily rags, and other flammable materials in it.
And the garage tends to be a small, enclosed space so that if a fire does start it can engulf the entire space faster. One final point: Your garage may be also be an area that attracts clutter (newspaper, cardboard boxes, paper waste) – some of which is flammable. In this environment, how do you reduce the possibility of fire damage?
When it comes to fire damage in your Manchester garage, we recommend that you be proactive. Being proactive is the best way to keep your garage and your home as safe as possible from fire. Here are a few tips:
1. Any fuels, fluids, or cleaners you keep in your garage should be sealed properly.
2. Store flammable materials away from other flammables. For example, don’t store your old newspapers underneath cans of motor oil.
3. If you use drills and other electrical devices in your garage do not overload the circuit box. And unplug every electrical device after use.
4. Keep a fire extinguisher in the garage in a place where you can easily reach it.
5. Clear out clutter. Doing so makes it safer to walk in the garage and it removes potential fuel for a fire.
6. Store any flammable liquids in small amounts. Store them far away from source of heat, like a space heater.
7. Keep any propane tanks outside, not in your garage. Propane tanks are designed and equipped to handle being stored outside.
8. If a fire does damage your garage call SERVPRO of Manchester/Mansfield. We’re professionally trained to handle fire damage cleanup and restoration. We have the tools, experience, and knowledge to get your garage and home back to its pre-fire condition.
Smoke & Soot Damage
After a fire, there are several forms of damage including damage from smoke and soot, plus water damage from putting the fire out. SERVPRO technicians take care of all of it for you. We can restore anything salvageable, clean up the smoke and soot, and dry out the area and your possessions. Learn what you can do after a fire and what you should avoid.
Want professional advice on the fire risk and fire safety of your home? Call SERVPRO of Manchester/Mansfield Today At 860.649.0836
More Safety Information
22 Tips On Preventing Fires From Home Heating, Candles, And Electrical Sources
House Fires Burn Faster Today. Here’s How To Survive.
Lower Fire Damage Costs
Call On Us
The team at SERVPRO of Manchester/Mansfield has specialized training and experience in virtually all aspects of preventing, assessing and cleaning up after a natural disaster. Rely on the professionals.
Call SERVPRO of Manchester/Mansfield at 860.649.0836 anytime, 24/7/365.