Your Emergency Plan: SERVPRO Suggestions On Steps To Take Now
Of course, we’re biased, but we think you have many reasons to choose SERVPRO when it comes to cleanup and restoration services. One reason is that we’re interested in not just helping you deal with the effects water damage, fire damage, and other natural disasters. We’re interested in helping you reduce the likelihood of suffering damage in the first place.
SERVPRO of Manchester/Mansfield would love to prevent property damage. That’s one reason why we blog about prevention and preparation. The best property damage is the damage that never happens.
We want to put your interests first. No one wants to have to call us and have our beautiful green and orange trucks sent to their house because they’ve suffered a huge loss. Lots of property damage can be avoided or lessened with the right planning and preparation.
Reading this post and others can help reduce your need for cleanup and restoration services. Getting this free educational information is another reason to choose SERVPRO.
Preparation Reduces Your Risk
When an emergency or major natural disaster strikes it’s the people and businesses who are prepared who handle the situation best. Being prepared can reduce the damage, the cost, the risk, and the inconvenience. But many people don’t like to think about and plan for what to do if a disaster strikes.
SERVPRO of Manchester/Mansfield would like to make planning easier for you. Here are some steps to take now.
1. Create a family communication plan. Know how you will contact each other if a disaster or emergency strikes. Review what you will do in different situations. One idea that’s worked for SERVPRO clients: Have every family member call, text, or email the same relative or friend so you can easily know the whereabouts and condition of everyone. Use someone out of town because they might be in a better position to communicate among separate family members. Make sure everyone in the family knows the phone number.
2. Be prepared to decide whether it’s safer to stay where you are or leave. Understand and plan for both alternatives. Stay tuned in to a news source (internet, TV, radio) for any official emergency instructions. Use all available information to assess your situation. If first responders, like fire fighters, tell you to leave, follow their instructions.
Concerned About Emergency Preparation? Call SERVPRO of Manchester/Mansfield Today. Call 860.649.0836
3. Have a kit that can sustain you and your family in place for three days. Your kit should have a gallon of water per person per day, three days of non-perishable foods (like protein bars, dried fruit, and canned food), medicines you need, flashlights with batteries, blankets, and more. The American Red Cross and other places have ready-made kits and extra supplies available. Prepare another, smaller kit to take with you if you have to get away.
4. Create a plan to get away. Plan how you will assemble your family and anticipate where you will go. Choose several different destinations in different directions in case the natural disaster or emergency blocks one destination. Always keep half a tank or more of gas in your car. Become familiar with alternative routes as well as other means of transportation out of your area.
5. Know the emergency plans at school and work. Talk to your children’s schools and your employer about emergency plans. Find out how they will communicate with families during an emergency. Talk to your neighbors about how you might work together to be safe.
For more information go to the Homeland Security website ready.gov
Check Out Our Other Blog Posts
Every month on the SERVPRO of Manchester/Mansfield blog we publish educational articles on how Manchester and Mansfield residents can protect their homes and businesses from disasters and how to deal with mold, fire, water, sewage, storm, or other damage. Here are a few blog posts that you might find helpful:
Remember, SERVPRO of Manchester/Mansfield is here to help. We work on water damage, storm damage, fire damage and other severe weather damage. You can call SERVPRO of Manchester/Mansfield anytime, 24/7. At SERVPRO we’re trained in many restoration services. We know the safest, most advanced, and quickest ways to help you recover from frozen pipe and other damage to your home or business.
SERVPRO of Manchester/Mansfield
Certified SERVPRO technicians
24-hour emergency service