Biohazard and Sewage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Take care. If you’re exposed to biological and chemical contaminants you and your family may have serious health consequences. Biohazards affect tens of thousands of homes and businesses across the country every year. Failure to properly identify and remove contaminants contributes to unhealthy and dangerous environments at home and on the job. In Connecticut, the biohazard cleanup experts at SERVPRO of Manchester/Mansfield are trained to safely remove biohazards and dispose of them properly in accordance with OSHA and health regulations.
Some of our blog posts that shed light on biohazards are Cleaning Up Chemicals or Biohazards and Chemical Spill Safety.
Need Biohazard Cleanup? Call Us Today – (860) 649-0836
After any biohazard or sewage contamination in your home or business, your primary focus should be safety:
- Is it safe to stay in the house?
- Exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can pose serious health consequences.
- Flood water can contain sewage, pesticides, and other contaminants.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
What to Do After a Contamination
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Call emergency service personnel if the situation is life-threatening.
- Treat all bodily fluids as if they are contaminated.
- Turn off the HVAC system if there is sewage damage.
What Not to Do After a Contamination
- Don’t leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don’t leave books, magazines, or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don’t use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don’t use television or other household appliances.
- Don’t turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
24 Hour Emergency Service
Biohazards like flood water or sewer backups should be considered an emergency and dealt with as quickly as possible. SERVPRO of Manchester / Mansfield has water damage restoration specialists and has specific training and expertise to safely remediate biohazard contaminants.
We are proud to serve our local communities: